Friday, December 10, 2010

Up From Slavery

Just a little snippet from the book I'm currently reading, Up From Slavery by Booker T. Washington.  I've really enjoyed it and has really inspired me to do better and be better.  It's basically former slave Booker T. Washington's autobiography.  And here's a really cool quote to show just how cool he was:

"...I learned the lesson that great men cultivate love, and that only little men cherish a spirit of hatred.  I learned that assistance given to the weak makes the one who gives it strong; and that oppression of the unfortunate makes one weak.
  It is now long ago I learned this lesson....and resolved that I would permit no man, no matter what his colour might be, to narrow and degrade my soul by making me hate him.  With God's help, I believe that I have completely rid myself of any ill feeling toward the Southern white man for any wrong that he may have inflicted upon my race.  I am made to feel just as happy now when I am redering service to Southern white men as when the service is rendered to a member of my own race.  I pity from the bottom of my heart any individual who is so unfortunate as to get into the habit of holding race prejudice."

Both in and outside of the context of race....this is an attitude to emulate.  I like this guy.

No comments: