Tuesday, June 14, 2011

DC KILLS



I know I haven't posted in a really long time, but today I need to vent.  It all started at the end of last week.  I've been stressed out for several reasons and for some reason, when you stress out, the little things begin to bother you.
Don't get me wrong, I love DC.  It's beautiful, picturesque and doesn't have the big city feel that a lot of big cities have.  That, and there are a lot of great things to do here.
The city seems to be taking the brunt of my frustration and it all started with a look a random lady in a drugstore gave me.  It wasn't nice, it wasn't necessary and I tried to shake it off.  Later that evening, I was walking along on a sidewalk in a parking lot where we had just parked and I heard someone saying "Ma'am, ma'am" over and over again.  I was deep in thought but finally looked up to see a policewoman coming towards me, so I moved.  Then a man who was watching us chewed her out for being a rude person.  I guess she kept saying "Ma'am" to me so that I would get out of her way so that she wouldn't have to walk around me.  Oh boy.
Then yesterday Ryan and I went to a restaurant to use a Groupon that we had bought.  The Groupon had expired, but we had called ahead and they told us they would honor the voucher anyway.  I thought the menu at this place was always really cool and exciting so we were both pretty happy.  So we let them know about the groupon, no problem, ordered our food, ate and it was yummy.  Then, when we handed the groupon over at the END of the meal they come back and said they wouldn't honor it.  What the?  Sooo we had to pay for the full meal because we had eaten the full meal.  A little rude?  Yeah.
And then there was today.  We went to visit one of my friends before taking Ryan to class in Dupont Circle.  She lives about 20 minutes away from Dupont Circle with no traffic and 45 minutes away with traffic.  After a nice visit we left her place 50 minutes before class started supposedly going the OPPOSITE way of rush hour traffic.  How long did it take us to get there, people?!  AN HOUR AND A HALF!!  WHAT?!?!  I pretty much thought I was going to have a heart attack.  Don't even get me started on DC drivers.  And the screaming baby in the backseat of my car on my way back home.
Please, DC, what are you doing to me?!
I thought I would have peace in the comfort of my own home, but not in DC.  I have been hearing the constant drone of helicopters since I got home at 8 and it's almost midnight.  I have all sorts of conspiracy theories running through my head as to why there are helicopters flying alllllllll night long.  It might bother me mostly because I hear the noise and it sounds like it's going away, but just at the point where the noise should start to disappear, it starts to gradually get louder again.  AGGHHH.
So, dear DC, try to remember that you are not New York.  There shouldn't be that many rude people here and there shouldn't be that much traffic (going the opposite way of rush hour traffic, at least).
In conclusion, at this very moment I am ready to leave my love for the city behind and move to the country where it's quiet and my baby can play in peace.  And where I don't have to be stuck in traffic.  And deal with rude people.  I might change my mind tomorrow, but for now that's how I feel.
Thank you, dear blog, for giving me a place to vent.  If anyone does read this, I apologize and I might be back to my normal chipper self soon.....if DC starts to behave itself. :)

4 comments:

Emily said...

Oh, I hear you loud and clear! I have felt this way many times. Except lately it's been more toward PG country (cause I probably learned to stay away from DC with all it's nonsense). I feel like I get treated like a piece of garbage wherever I go, and everyone acts like their mistakes are my fault! Oh, it makes my blood boil. Anyway, I know how you feel. Lots of opportunities to pray, eh?

Wendy K said...

Yeah, the traffic was one of my motivations for quitting my job after the baby was born as it often took 1 hour to drive only 13 miles to NW. Steve rides his bike 6 miles to work and it takes almost the same amount of time as driving does.

Michelle said...

oh girl I know how you feel.

Ryan and Keiry said...

Emily- yeah, PG county isn't much different....at all. I put them in the same category. It can really drive you crazy! I do often find myself praying for patience.....obviously doesn't work ALL the time. :)
Wendy- I don't know how I commuted every day between College Park and Foggy Bottom without having a heart attack at some point. I do remember being very stressed out, particularly during traffic. Just another reason why our babies are blessings. They saved our lives :)
Michelle- knit nite? :)