Tuesday, February 15, 2011

An Epic Valentine's Day Dinner

Ryan and I have never gone out to eat for Valentine's Day, which is just as well because I can imagine that restaurants are especially crowded and noisy on vday.  Last year I tried to make a fancy-ish dinner and tried to make the setting romantic.  I made a yummy savory and a tasty sweet fondue.  Here's a picture, in fact:



Well, lets just say that Ryan one-upped me this year. Big time.  He totally went Bobby Flay on me and butterflied a chicken.  Yes, butterflied it:
This is the bird in question, in all his butterflied glory
This is, of course, before it was roasted on a bed of rosemary and thyme with yummy red potatoes as company in the oven that was it's fate.

Here was the end result:

A raspberry-walnut green salad and some Italian soda to accompany the bird.  It was AMAZING.  I knew Ryan was good at cooking....but THIS good??  And it's not over yet.

Then there was dessert.

There are few things I like to eat more in this world than strawberries.  Just ask my mission companions...I ate a lot of strawberries.  Well, Ryan made the ultimate:

Heaven!  
I am not going to admit how many I ate....that is not the point of this post! :)
And did he stop there, my friends?  NO!
He also made a chocolate mousse that did not last long enough to be photographed, but trust you me.....it was good!  I was SO full after such a wonderful meal, prepared by a wonderful man : )
How on Earth can I possibly think to cook next year's Valentine's Day dinner after having been put to such shame??  I guess I have a year to come up with something good.  Better start planning now ;)

No comments: