I would like to preface this entry by saying that I have promised one of my friends this recipe for a really long time. By long I mean something like three years. I have been well meaning, but translation and changing of measurements, and afterwards actually writing out the recipe have all been huge deterrents for me in giving out this recipe.
Luckily, she is still my friend. I know, right? She still talks to me despite my not keeping my promise. Which I finally will today :)
That being said, this lovely little dessert has a little story behind it. A little under 3 years ago, I had just arrived back home from my mission in Croatia. My mission was, and is, dear to me and I bought this little cookbook before I came home:
It is a book of Croatian desserts (or kolaci). Croats make some AMAZING desserts that I loved while I was out there. I was so happy when I found this book. I could make my own Croatian desserts at home!
So there was a party at my friend's house and it was somewhat of a potluck so I decided to make a dessert from this book, having just arrived from my mission a month or so before. So I made this one:
Except I made it with blueberries.
The title on the recipe says, "Squares with Cherries", but we have renamed it "Blueberry Kolac" around here :)
Anyway, I took it to the party and Ryan happened to be there too. I don't believe we had ever spoken to each other. Silvia and I were talking at this party and Ryan had just picked up a piece of this dessert and was eating it. Suddenly he said, "Who made this?" I said I did and he said "If you made this for me everyday, I would marry you!"
Whoever said that the way to a man's heart was through his stomach really knew what she was talking about.
I know this post is getting kind of long, but I had to share the story with you before giving out the recipe, because to me, this little dessert was the beginning of our life together, even in just a little way.
Without further ado, here it is:
Blueberry Kolac (kolach)
Crust:
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 sticks butter
2 cups powdered sugar
2 egg yolks
lemon zest
Blueberries (you can put in as much as you'd like. I usually put in about one and a half of the small boxes of blueberries).
How to prepare the dough: Mix the melted butter with the flour and add the sugar, egg yolks, lemon zest and mix into a crumbly dough. Press this crumbly dough into the bottom of a greased and floured pan (I usually use one of the big pyrex glass pans).
Bake for about 20 minutes until it's baked through (yes, that's all that it says concerning baking. I haven't made this in a while, but if I were to make it today I would probably bake it at 350 and just watch it until it's lightly gold brown around the edges and just "looks done")
While it's baking, you can prepare the creme that goes on top.
Creme:
6 egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup sour cream
3 Tbs flour
6 egg whites, beaten until stiff
Beat egg whites and sugar together (I imagine until the sugar is pretty well dissolved), add flour, sour cream and egg whites and mix well. It's going to be a little bit airy because of the egg whites, but that will give it a yummy texture.
Okay, now spread the cleaned blueberries over the just baked crust and then pour this creme over it and you're going to bake it again. All the recipe says as far as how long is: Add creme and put back into the oven at a low temperature until the cream looks a little yellow.
I think I usually lower the oven to 300 and just watch it until it either looks done or until I can touch it and it's not wet, but all of the egg has cooked through.
I hope that this recipe works out....I don't think I have ever translated a recipe before, so let me know if you try it!
Here's a picture of the little guy to make this post a little cuter :)
Wednesday, March 30, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
What a sweet story! I am SO going to make Croatian Kolac for the next party I go to... Maybe Kremsnita? ;)
Thanks for sharing the recipe- it looks amazing!!!
And also... THE PANDA HAT!!! He is so adorable!!!
Mmmmm....I miss Kremsnita....with the amazing whipped cream with sour cream topping. I'm not brave enough to try it, but I sure would like some! Send me some in the mail when you're done, hehe! Miss you seko moja :*
Post a Comment